26 January 2009

What Is Your Body Telling You?

So a couple weeks ago I posted about my husband and I going on a...gasp...diet. Not diet, really, but just trying to eat healthier to be healthier. Well, I gotta tell you, I've been damn good. And to top that off, I've been feeling damn good. I know what you're thinking...it's only been two weeks, but the enormity of the change struck me after a little fall from grace last night.

I had to go out of town for work, and after getting lost trying to find my hotel (that's a whole other story), I did not feel like going out and getting something good to eat. The font desk guy (with a horribly hilarious speech impediment) informed me that Old Chicago delivers to my hotel. I usually get the buffalo chicken tenders w/ fries. As if that's not bad enough, something compels me to get an order of mozzarella sticks as well. And then, when I go down to meet the delivery chick, I get a 20-oz. bottle of real Coke from the vending machine. Oh the horror!!! I tell myself that I'm out of town...I can splurge, plus, I've been way better behaved than Mike, so it's only fair.

This is when my body kicked in it's opinion. First of all, I could only stomach a little more than half of my food. I did, however, down the entire bottle of sugary-liquid goodness. Second of all, I had the worst bloated feeling and tons of burping last night. Not pleasant at all. Then, when I woke up this morning, my stomach really let me know what it thought. Ugh!!!

Anyway, before I get anymore graphic...it made me realize how good I had been feeling and how filling my body with all that junk last night really did me in. I felt awful!

So now I'm psyched. I have a new-found determination to stick to my plan. Don't get me wrong, I still have to do some breathing exercises when I see the Reese's Easter Eggs in the store, but I can handle it. As a testament to that thought, I'll go ahead and tell you that today I drove past numerous McDonald's and Wendy's, but came right home to a turkey sandwich and salad. Now, if that isn't almost saint-like, I don't know what is.

No comments: