10 December 2008

This Thing Called Blog

How funny it is that you get on here and write your thoughts and deepest fears and desires for strangers to read. How funny that you can eaves drop on someone's life that you will likely never meet. How funny that you can be so affected by someone's pain when you have never seen their smile or heard their voice.

Today I got on to check all my favorite blogs and was saddened to see that Lotus (aka Sarcastic Mom) has lost a baby for the second time this year. My heart weeps for her.

So here I am, this girl who has no readers (to my knowledge), writing to myself, feeling so terrible for someones whose life I've been following for several months now. I looked at the comments from her post and it seemed like several people were feeling as I did, one reader capturing it perfectly:

"There are no words but 'I’m sorry.' There is this weird lopsided cyber-relationship in that I follow your life through your blog, and you don’t even know I exist, but know that there is one more person out there who wishes she could hug you."

I said what I felt, but just couldn't help thinking what it is like for her to read those messages. How strange must it feel to know that virtual strangers are sad for your loss. Does that make her feel loved? supported? blessed? Does she feel offended? like no one could possible understand how she's feeling right now?

How strange the world is now in the age of technology. We have trouble finding the time to write a letter or make a phone call to the people that matter most to us, but we publish our personal victories and tragedies for any and all to read.