15 October 2008

A Question of Morals...

So here's my question...If you are out of town for work, in training all day, are you expected to return emails and do more work once you return to your hotel? Hmmm...

I'm really torn here.

Today I woke up at 5:20 to leave the house by 6:00. I drove for two and a half hours to get to Salina. I then supervised the room set-up, hauled boxes from my car to the room, sat through a training, and helped clean up. I have now checked into my home-away-from-home for the next two nights. Later on, I need to go to Walmart to get some more supplies for tomorrow's event. Should I feel obligated to spend the between times on work related matters?

Things that make me think "yes": My mileage, meals, and lodging are all paid for...I'm basically living free for three days. My boss encourages me to take comp time when I've been traveling. The computer I'm typing on right now is, in fact, my work lap top. Plus, some of the emails are of a slightly time-sensitive nature.

Things that make me think "no": I already put in more time today than I would have if I were in the office. I'm selfish and tired and don't want to work any more today!

I guess I'll bite the bullet and respond to those things that simply cannot wait until Monday. *sigh*

No comments: